Monday, August 13, 2012

Our House is City House

Nestled in Nashville’s neighborhood of Germantown, slightly north of downtown, is City House.


Over the past 3 years City House, a converted sculptor’s studio, has been featured in publications such as the New York Times Style Magazine, Food and Wine, bon appétit, Garden & Gun, and Nashville Scene. Each story about Chef Tandy Wilson’s rustic Italian restaurant is rightfully as praiseworthy as the last. So, it should be no surprise that I had to taste what is becoming my favorite restaurant in Nashville.

I have since dined at City House three times in the past 7 weeks. One of my favorite things about City House is that amid all of its popularity, it is one of the most unassuming and charming restaurants in town. Simply put, this house is grounded on the principles of good food, good service and good company.

I was as giddy as a school girl the first evening Stewart and I walked through the front door of City House. In addition to the friendly hostess, you are greeted by the boisterous chatter among the restaurant’s clientele. Without a reservation Stewart and I sat up at the kitchen bar, overlooking the chefs preparing brick oven pizzas, pastas and desserts. It was the best seat in the house! A bowl of tomatoes and a fresh basil plant sat on the counter to my right. I watched as servers came up to the bar to take food to the other tables, and my appetite went wild with hunger. Before I knew it, Stewart and I practically licked our plates clean of 2 appetizers, 2 pizzas, and 2 desserts while washing it down with artisan cocktails and espresso. If gluttony is a sin, I bought a one-way ticket to hell with that meal. And I’m clearly not feeling that bad about it, since it’s been a repeat occurrence ever since.

A word to the wise: Do not make plans to go anywhere but home after you leave here. Your bellies will be aching (with pleasure) over the best meal you’ve ever eaten, and your brain will be on the verge of a food coma. I am 3 for 3 in going straight to bed after a night at City House.

How is that possible? Let’s examine the evidence from my visit last weekend.

We start off with the house cured salami, parm.


Followed by their brick oven pizzas…

Margherita Pizza (House Made Mozzarella)


House Made Belly Ham, Mozzarella, Grana Padano, Oregano, Chilies


Moving on to the pastas…

Linguini, Tomatoes, Anchovy, Chilies, Garlic, Olives, Bread Crumbs


Bread Gnocchi, Pork, Peppers, Cider Vinegar, Pecorino


And for dessert…

Espresso


And vanilla-almond pound cake with lemon-ricotta gelato


End Scene.


Queue music with Madness' "Our House"







No comments: