Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Memphis Minnie and Blackberry Cocktails

We've had a downpour of rain here the past two evenings, and my yard is thanking the man above for all this H2O. The flower bed in our front yard was knocking on death's door until Sunday night. You see, this is why I can't be responsible for another life - animal, mineral or vegetable. I have the best of intentions when it comes to gardening, but I was not blessed with a green thumb. Hopefully this is a skill I can (and will) improve upon as I get older. Until then my plants live to see another day! And this makes me happy. I even bought fresh flowers for the house this past weekend. It's a great way to add color and warmth to a home.



Speaking of home decor, the latest Restoration Hardware and Crate & Barrel catalogues found their way into my mailbox this week! I love flipping through the pages, eyeing each kitchen accessory and piece of furniture. In fact my latest want in life is a desk/work station at home. One of our guest bedrooms has a little nook that's the perfect amount of space for a work area: desk, chair, lamp, bulletin boards, etc. Then I could have my own reserved space to write and study. Particularly now that Crate & Barrel is advertising dorm room accessories for back to school, I'm all about my own work space.

Today, My Eats and Beats is going old school with Memphis Minnie and blackberry cocktails. Memphis Minnie's songs make me feel like I'm back in the South circa 1940. She is one the most influential female blues musicians and guitarists of all time. The eat to my beat is in fact a cocktail. Enter in blackberries, lime, cucumbers, mint and gin! This is a great mixed drink for summer. It's tart, a little sour and most refreshing.

Disclaimer: Too much of this blackberry cocktail may lead to "kissing in the dark".





Blackberry Cocktail from Southern Living:

Yield: Makes 5 cups
1 (0.75-oz.) package fresh mint sprigs
12 (1/4-inch-thick) cucumber slices
2 (6-oz.) packages fresh blackberries
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
8 to 12 tsp. turbinado sugar*
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. gin
1 cup cold club soda
Crushed ice
Garnishes: cucumber slices, fresh blackberries, lime wedges, lemon mint sprigs

Place first 5 ingredients in a large pitcher. Gently press mint leaves, cucumbers, and blackberries against side of pitcher with a wooden spoon to release flavors. Stir in gin and club soda. Serve over ice. Garnish, if desired.
*Superfine or powdered sugar may be substituted.

1 comment:

Corey Glenn said...

I'm familiar with that song. My grandpa used to play Memphis Minnie's greatest hits. :') Anyhow, your cocktail looks refreshing. I love blackberries, so I’ll go crazy with this drink for sure. I'm excited to try this one! It might become my next favorite cocktail.