Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Year's Resolutions with Mumford & Sons


Today I feel as though I'm writing to an old friend. A friend whom I've not talked to in over five months. Hello, my beloved blog! It's me, Julia! Thoughts flood my head and rush down to my fingertips on the keyboard. I'm anxious to familiarize myself again with the blogging world and remiss in the fact that I've neglected to write about two of my favorite pastimes: cooking and eating.

Don't misinterpret that comment. From Thanksgiving to Christmas and into the New Year, I've certainly not neglected to eat and/or cook. In fact, I dare admit there's been too much eating. And I'm pretty sure the word gluttony comes to mind. I've merely neglected to write about it. So where do I begin? There's so much to share!

Let's start with the new year. I always have the best of intentions when it comes to new year's resolutions, and somehow I'm waiting until February to begin mine. But amidst the procrastination, I want to be ambitious this year. And there's nothing like putting your goals in writing for everyone to see as self motivation.

So here it is. Resolutions to improve mind, body and spirit in 2011.
  • Blog at least 3 times a week. 
  • Read one new book every 4-6 weeks.
  • Exercise at least 4 times a week. 
  • Say at least one prayer a day
  • Brush up on my French language skills
  • Read the news daily. Yes, I'm terrible at staying abreast of the latest world affairs on a daily basis. Don't judge.


And thanks to bathing suit season already in high gear, for those fortunate enough to still have a spring break, I'll begin my exercise regiment first thing tomorrow. For today's eats, I'm highlighting a great vegetable soup I found from Ellie Krieger on Food Network. It's her Tuscan Vegetable Soup. I omit the spinach, due to personal preference. And I use oregano or Italian seasoning in place of sage, since I never have any in the house. I've paired this dish with Mumford and Sons' Little Lion Man. I recently added their album "Sigh No More" to my iTunes library, and it was $8 well spent. Alongside a bowl of this vegetable soup, I want to drink a pint of Guinness in a London pub.  Here's to a new year, new adventures, and new eats and beats.  

Cheers!
Julia



Ingredients:

  • 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium canellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 2 carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced, (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
  • 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, optional

Directions:

In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.

Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.
, if desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.