Friday, March 11, 2011

Favorite Artist Friday and Tea

The joys a Friday brings to my life. Naturally it marks the beginning of the weekend, and this Friday in particular is pay day! Having refrained from buying new music the past week, this newly acquired money is burning a hole in my pocket as iTunes beckons me to purchase music, music, and more music!
There are so many artists/bands out there today, many of whom I’m just discovering and enjoy sharing with you, that I hereby dub Friday posts as “Favorite New Artist Fridays”. This won’t necessarily mean that the featured beat is new to the music scene, but rather that it is new to me.

Case in point – Bat for Lashes has been around since 2008. The album Two Suns is haunting and beautiful, highlighting British singer/songwriter Natasha Khan’s talent. If the likes of Florence and the Machine or Frou Frou appeal to you, Bat for Lashes will be an instant favorite. Today’s beat is “Daniel” (see video below). Other songs I’d recommend by this artist: “Moon and Moon” and “Pearl’s Dream”.

The latter half of this week was spent seeing the film Black Swan and taking in the musical “Young Frankenstein” at the Orpheum Theatre. Consequently, my kitchen has been neglected and not produced new eats in two days. My time was spent otherwise - watching the classic Mel Brooks’ comedy performed on stage and a ballerina who loses her mind in strife for perfection as the Swan Queen. I’ve laughed and cringed a lot in the past 48 hours.

I have, however, been drinking a lot of green tea this week – for no particular reason outside of the general health/wellness related benefits. Did you know that tea is the second most consumed drink in the world, second only to water? It also surprised me to learn that all tea (white, green, oolong, black and pu'erh) comes from the same plant called Camellia sinensis. I have a small assorted stash of teas at work. It’s nice to have on hand for several reasons. The dose of caffeine helps to start my day. It also curbs my appetite after breakfast and before lunchtime. And for the afternoon, a cup of hot mint tea takes the edge off of any stress and calms the nerves.

In addition to building my own garden in the backyard, I’d like to blend my own teas some day. Here are links to great web sites for tea, if you’re interested. Be sure to check out the various tea pots and utensils on these sites as well:


May your weekend be filled with good eats and beats!
Julia

No comments: