Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pound Cake Is My Bread and Butter

It’s all about pound cake today. Because I’m pretty sure I’ve gained a pound for every piece I ate over the weekend. I hoped that by grilling this buttery cake, it would magically melt the calories right off each slice. Not so much. I guess every now and then, we just have to dig into these delicious desires. I’m all for a healthy, balanced diet; but life’s too short to worry about every bite. Live a little!


Along with the humidity this past weekend came sunshine. And where there is sunshine on a Saturday afternoon, there must be a grill. But this time, I wanted to grill out for dessert. Anyone up for a little grilled pound cake and berries? I saw this recipe in Food and Wine magazine; and it not only looks good, but it tastes great. Strawberries and blueberries are two of my favorite fruits, so this recipe was right up my alley.



We did, however, eat our dessert indoors. Hot cake and fruit mixed with humidity and 90 degree weather makes for an uncomfortable and un-enjoyable time.



On another note, Stewart’s family will be in town for Memorial Day weekend! We can't wait to see them! So this means I will be spending some quality time in the kitchen in preparation. And you can bet some of these meals will make its way to My Eats and Beats.

The Newbeats had a one-hit wonder in 1964 called “Bread and Butter”. And I had lots of bread, and lots of butter, and lots of buttered bread this weekend.



Julia

Mixed Berries with Grilled Pound Cake:
1 lb strawberries and blueberries (strawberries halved)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 Cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
Grilled slices of pound cake (grill about 2-3 minutes on each side)

Combine the ingredients. Light a grill. In a medium bowl, toss together all the ingredients. Arrange four 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil on a work surface. Spoon 1/4 of butter in the center of each foil square and pour the fruit mixture over the butter.
Bring two sides of the foil up over the fruit and fold them to form a seam across the top. Fold the remaining two sides to seal the packs.
Grill the packs over moderate heat, about 10 minutes; open and pour the fruit into bowls. Serve.

2 comments:

AL said...

This looks like the perfect summer dessert - can't wait to try it!

sherberto said...

Yum- Grilled Pound Cake- I am excited to try that. :)