Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Send Me on My Way with Scones

Last night I made scones with my mom in preparation for Stewart’s family coming in town this weekend. I wanted to have something fun for them to enjoy each morning with a cup of coffee or tea, and scones are the perfect size pastry for a morning treat. So, I took the 15 minute drive over to my parents' house and mastered the art of making scones.

I chose orange and cranberry scones because the zest of the oranges and the sweetness from the cranberries are in season; but be on the lookout this fall when I make pumpkin scones. They are out of this world and taste like Thanksgiving.



I’m not a particularly big breakfast eater. Well…let me rephrase. I love a big breakfast on the weekends: bacon, eggs, pancakes, hash browns, etc. But on a daily basis, I tend to skip breakfast and settle for a cup of coffee. However, I never turn down sweets. Even in the a.m. So, if there just happens to be a display of fruitful scones in my kitchen, I will be the first in the house to wake up and go straight for the plate.


This particular recipe makes 8 scones. For a house full of 7 people this weekend, we made two batches. My mom coached me through the first round and then put me in the driver’s seat for the second round. It’s such a huge help to have someone walk you through the steps to make a recipe, versus just reading the directions from a book or web site. I love how these scones have such a rustic look to them, and they are the thickness of a biscuit. They're not your typical tea party scones, but better. 

I don’t know why these scones made me think of Rusted Root’s “Send Me On My Way”, but it did. Something about it makes me think of waking up in the morning and starting a new day, refreshed and ready to go. Perhaps that’s where the breakfast food ties in. Perhaps I associate this song with breakfast because they played it in the movie Matilda when she makes pancakes for herself in the morning. But, no matter the reason, I hope you have a great morning. Try these breakfast eats to perk up the start to your days.



Cranberry-Orange Scones:

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1/2 cup butter, cut up
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon sugar


Preparation
Combine first 6 ingredients; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk and dried cranberries, stirring just until moistened.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges, and place 1 inch apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until scones are golden brown.

Julia

1 comment: